New members are always welcome!
Coburg Historical Society is a welcoming and diverse group of individuals committed to preserving the history of our community. We welcome new members enthusiastically. By becoming a member, you are helping to preserve Coburg’s history for present and future generations.
The benefits of membership include receiving our newsletters Search and Bulletin, updates and access to our various activities throughout the year — including our programme of historically themed lectures that take place once a month throughout the year, and free use of our research collection.
As an active and vibrant society, members have the opportunity to meet other like-minded individuals. Some members become involved by volunteering at our Bluestone Cottage Museum, whilst others join to access the many interesting lectures that the Society organises each year.
Many members contribute articles for our journal, Search, which is published four times a year and is available free to members. It includes research and articles of interest relating to Coburg. We also publish shorter Bulletin newsletters to keep members updated on the various activities of the society.
Our Bluestone Cottage Museum is usually open each Friday, as well as on the first Sunday of the month (please check our website and Facebook page for updated opening times before arriving at the cottage). The museum houses our extensive archival collection, which members have free access to, as well as many interesting exhibits about the history of Coburg.
You will also have the opportunity to meet with fellow history enthusiasts at our monthly meetings, during museum hours, or when undertaking historical projects.
Many members have found volunteering for the society at the Bluestone Cottage Museum to be a very enjoyable pastime. Volunteers are the lifeblood of our organisation. Get involved! Help secure our past for the benefit of our future!
Volunteering opportunities include:
- Volunteering at Museum openings (every Friday from 12 noon til 2pm and the first Sunday of each month from 2 to 4.30pm)
- Museum maintenance, gardening etc.
- Assisting with school and other group visits
- Developing resources for schools to use
- Interviewing (oral histories)
- Photographing buildings, precincts, events, people in the local area
- Researching people, places or events.
- Documenting aspects of the area’s history over the past 50 years (ie 1960s to present); sourcing material relating to Coburg’s past
- Indexing projects
- Digitisation of images and ephemera
- Preparing exhibitions and displays
- Organising walks and talks
- Joining the committee
Becoming a member
Our only criteria for membership is that you be interested in the history of Coburg. If you would like to join, please print out and fill in the following form with your details. Post it, along with your cheque, to the Coburg Historical Society or pay by direct debit and email your details to us (postal and email address included in the form).
We can’t wait to meet you!